For about 7 years I have had the Ikea Apa wooden toy box. I’ve used it for storage but I’ve been clearing out a lot of stuff lately and don’t have anything in it so I thought, why not use this for the baby’s toy box? I got some fabric to put on the sides and then Jason said, why don’t we paint it? So this is what we did.
First Jason painted it. He got the high gloss green from Home Depot. He only needed a pint and I think it only cost about $15. On the inside of the short end you may notice a bit of pink paint. That was leftover from our bedroom and Jason thought the toy chest looked kind of cool with a bit of contrasting color.
I measured each of the 4 sections I planned to add fabric to and cut the fabric to size with about 1/4″ extra on each edge. Then I pressed down the excess fabric while measuring carefully to make sure I maintained the correct dimensions.
I hot glued the fabric to each section. I found it worked best if I glued a few inches at a time and ended on a corner. When I did the long edges I worked on both sides simultaneously, a few inches on one side, then a few on the other.
After the fabric was glued down we attached handles and some purchased feet from Home Depot. We are already trying to think of the ways in which our kid will try to destroy our home and dragging a toy chest across the wood floor until it scratches the floor seems like a pretty good possibility. Hence, the feet. We debated putting casters on the bottom but decided against it. I think if we had our little one would be tobagganing down the hill in his toy chest as soon as our backs were turned.
This is the kind of project I get really excited about because we repurposed something we already had and it didn’t cost much. I think the materials cost for the project was under $30. Since I had been using the chest for 7 years I don’t think the cost figures much into the cost of the project.