Just another WordPress.com site

Archive for January, 2012

Bassinet fitted sheets

I purchased a bassinet for the baby from craigslist.com and it only came with one fitted sheet.  I have been repeatedly assured by others with babies that we can expect “blow-outs” from diapers and that we should have extra sheets on hand for quick changes.  A quick examination of the sheet that came with the bassinet showed the construction was pretty simple so I decided to make some extra sheets.  I bought some yellow knit fabric and some cute patterned knit fabric from JoAnn’s.  It was my lucky day because the fabric was half price and I only spent $12 for one yard of each fabric and some elastic for the edges.  I priced fitted bassinet sheets at Babies R Us and the cost was $8.99 for one and $15.99 for two.

Making them was very simple. This works for a fairly flat bassinet mattress.   Take the bassinet mattress and trace the outline on a large sheet of paper then cut it out and use it as a pattern to cut out the sheet top.  Do not add any seam allowance, you want to have a tight sheet so the baby can’t wiggle it around and become entangled.  If you are trying to get two sheets out of a yard as I did you may want to experiment with layout a bit before you begin cutting so that you leave as much leftover fabric as possible to cut the strips for the sides.Cut strips of fabric about 4 inches wide from the remainder of the fabric and sew the 4 inch ends together to form one long strip of each.  Keep the right sides together!

If you have a serger, attach the long edge of the fabric to the outer edge of the top of the bassinet sheet, going all the way around the perimeter.  If you do not have a serger you can use a standard sewing machine with a zig zag stitch.  Keep close to the edge of the fabric.  Sew the ends together when they meet.

I did not insert elastic all the way around, as you can see from this picture.

I stitched the elastic down at the starting point.

Then put a safety pin in the other end of the elastic.

After that I sewed a casing around the short end of the bassinet sheet, enclosing the elastic as I went.  Because I stretched the elastic to fit after I reached the other side the elastic was completely enclosed before I was done stitching.  Be sure not to catch the elastic with the stitching as you go and stitch to approximately the same spot on the opposite side as the spot you started from.  Using the safety-pin to help manuever the elastic, pull the elastic through to the stopping point and stitch it down.

Repeat on the other side and then stitch down the sections on the long ends that didn’t get threaded with elastic.  Done!

I also made these sheets out of some cute patterned fabric.

Now all I need is a baby to put in this cute bassinet!


A Tightwad-y Little Thing I Did

Jason and I both pass over the heel of the loaf of bread when making toast and sandwiches and a couple of months ago I got the idea of saving them in the freezer and turning them into bread crumbs.  I was waiting to use up my current jar of bread crumbs before I did it and I finally got around to it the other day.  First I toasted the bread slices on a sheet pan in the oven at about 200 degrees.

Then I cut the bread into small pieces.

Then I threw the bread chunks in the food processor and started grinding them up.

I had to do a bit of sifting.  Some of the chunks wouldn’t get small enough to qualify as bread crumbs so I tossed them out after trying them a few different times through the food processor.  I threw away less than 1 slice of bread so I don’t consider it to be that much of a loss.

The crumbs!

I like doing little things like this.  I don’t use bread crumbs a lot so I hate buying them when a recipe calls for them.  The bread was a mixture of whole wheat, rye and sourdough and I think the flavor will be good.  I plan to keep these in the freezer so they don’t get rancid.