Here’s another pair of shoes I made over. I painted the platforms and heels. Because they were dark brown I painted them with a couple of coats of white before I painted the blue.
Archive for May, 2012
I have been working on a project in which I am photographing all my clothes. It’s already a very helpful exercise because being able to see all my clothes at once has helped me identify items I am not wearing. When photographing my shoes I found a few pairs that I thought I would wear more if I did a bit of a makeover on them.
I bought these for a costume party several years ago.
These came from a thrift store and are from Ann Taylor.
I did some painting on both. You can find tutorials for this all over the web but the basic steps are to mask the areas you don’t want to paint with painter’s tape and do several coats. I used craft acrylic paints and a sponge brush so I wouldn’t have any bristle lines. I did a couple of coats the first day, let them dry overnight, and then another coat the next day. Then I gave everything a couple of coats of ModPodge. I didn’t want to go out and buy any new craft supplies for this project so I just used what I had on hand. This is what I ended up with:
The only problem I had was that on the shoes that were vinyl not leather I had issues with the painter’s tape peeling off some of the finish on the areas I was trying to keep paint-free. So peel the tape off carefully and have a back up plan in mind.